“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Still here in Romania (plus pics)

So here I am again, posting so soon. I have the afternoon off (I feel a bit guilty about it because everyone else is either washing pottery or working in the heat). I just thought I'd touch base and make sure the top blog on the page is actually about where I am. I'm also uploading pics from my other camera, so can put a few of those in too.

This weekend, I'm off to the Dacian capital of this area (that's Roman era for the uninformed!). It should be great, but it's a long hike (6 hours). I'm looking forward to swimming in the waterfall (and avoiding the snakes that are supposedly on the surrounding rocks... it's sounds like some kind of myth or ancient quest!).

For those who want more info on my dig site, here's the website: http://www3.sympatico.ca/gonciar/

Anyway, here are some recent pics.

So this is Bran castle. Here is the courtyard I love (except you can't really see it!) and all the millions of tourists parading through.
Here's the outside of Bran castle. It's pretty ordinary, but still has mystique. It's not like there are actually any castles in New Zealand anyway, so any castle is still fabulous.

This picture is the view from Rasinov castle... you can see some of it in the foreground. In the distant mountains is where Bran castle is... but what a fabulous view, eh!?

This is the amazing Peles castle I mentioned in an earlier blog. This is just the outside--it truly is such an amazing place--exorbitant and ostentatious, just the way new castles should be!

2 comments:

Rama said...

The view from Rasinov... and the fog... excellent.

nell said...

oh my goah, I'm going to have to come back and read your descriptions again, but my first impression is, gorgeous pictures!!!! I wanna travel again!!