“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Sisters

I finished reading "The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family" before Christmas, about an amazing family of British women that hob-nobbed in European society mixing with Hitler, Churchill and other famous people of the era. Their poltical views were extremely strong and often in start contrast (Communist vs. Fascist). It's amazing to see such a family of extremes and of course, they knew all the right people for their views of the times.

A huge amount of the information came from letters they wrote to each other. It's amazing that they wrote so much about their political opinions in those days. So many of the quotes are completely unrelated to themselves. What a self-absorbed world and society we have become! Most people I know wouldn't have opinions on these kinds of things. Then again, we're not likely to have a world war anytime soon, either.

People did have an opinion about Iraq I suppose, and are very adamantly Democrat or in Sam's case, Republican, but how much does the average while write to her sister or mother about the state of the world, or Africa, or any country but their own?

Now that I think about it, the only person I write to with any political feelings are my parents, so perhaps it's not that unusual. Friends are usually beings for frivolity and fun rather than seriousness. They're more for the problems of now than concerns elsewhere.

2 comments:

Rama said...

Funny you should mention 'Sam, a Republican'... because I've kinda found myself NOT being one. Hit me like a brick it did, and didn't swallow too well with the 'rents... but what can ya do, eh? I'll still consider myself conservative, but I've decided that the Republican party isn't what I want it to be.

Natalya Marquand said...

Must say I'm impressed at what a huge change it'd be! Much respect.