“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Two weeks till the house!!

Things are really warming up here--it must be at least 40 degrees, and the humidity, ugh! It's unbearably hot and steamy... can't wait till it breaks and the storms come. Having a top floor classroom is the pits!

Aside from that, things are going to be insanely busy in the next two months... I know I say that often, and then list off my crazy life activities, and I'm going to do that again. I just want you all to realise that I'm justifying why I haven't posted!

So, apart from the 5 assignments due in the next 6 weeks to uni in Oz, packing up and moving house, giving exams (and marking them), flying to the US, connecting to Colombia then travelling around, then starting a new summer job I have my normal social routine! Next week US visa interview---can you believe that of all possible US consulates around the world, they decided to require that foreign applicants to the one in Myanmar need to prove residency. I never have official residency and certainly not here, though it's not my fault, it's the school's (and the country, of course). Sorry, getting sidetracked: I was mantraing my to do list! There was the ANZAC dawn service this Wednesday (and if you don't know what ANZAC is, look it up, it's very important!) and the related Digger's ball on Saturday--I have impossibly high shoes to fall over in. Hopefully no repeat of last year when I woke up with my appartment door wide open, bag and everything sitting outside and an enormous rip in my dress with no memory... ooooppppsss! I don't think that's ever happened to me, it was really quite scary! I also threw red wine on an obnoxious man that I continue to see everywhere. Double oooppss! On Monday I pay my housing deposit, then there are all the farewell parties and graduation. Very exciting-I do like the life of an expat.

Phones are off here. The one at school is dead completely, so when I need to send a fax to the US embassy downtown they try for two days then I decide it's easier to put the documents in the car with the driver and send them that way! Everyone in town is moaning about being unable to get a line out to call home. What a black hole!

One teacher got a job in Lahore, Pakistan today. I'd love to go there! Perhaps I should aim that way instead of Europe, Africa, or Latin America! All the exciting possibilities.

Just got back from Dubai and Oman on Saturday. Will eventually get some fab pictures up on my new facebook page (such a better idea than flickr) to show the dolphins and off road 4WD in the desert.

Okay, need to go and do work instead of procrastinating!

Here's a smile: http://www.sibir.bg/index.php?page=videoAlbumPreview&albID=44382&VideoID=13453

Another: www.stuffonmycat.com

1 comment:

Rama said...

I don't have facebook. How dare you exclude me from your picture viewing!!

Why are you going through the US embassy? You aren't a US citizen... or are you? I'm confused.

I'm contemplating Buddhism at the moment. Quantum physics led me to it. Fantastic.