Here are some typical costs:
To/from airport on either of two bus companies flybus.is or grayline 3500 return
Hostel bed from 4000 (43 euro)
Golden circle tours 9500 add more to around 22000 to 24000 for snorkeling, snow mobiling, rafting, etc. Don't wait until you get there to book your tours. They fill up early... I missed diving, whales, and glaciers because I didn't get in early enough.
Cars are minimum €60 per day.
I looked before I came and found 3 day tours from London with Iceland air for £220. On Wow air the flights were around £100 each way, and hotels are minimum $50 a day, but the cheapest circle tours are $75 a day, a bit less for afternoon -- so in short: yes, they're worth it!
Did you know there are direct flights to Greenland so you can go on a day trip!?
- Very safe and clean, good nature, good air
- Simple life
- Socially calm, nice, relaxed
- Alaskan lupin everywhere
- Chocolate and licorice together
- Renting and apartment is rare in Iceland not culturally normal, expensive, short term
- The rotating restaurant went around in 1 hour but people got seasick so they slowed it to 2 hours for a rotation.
- Hot water is piped into houses for $1.20 per day or €1 per flat, from power plant at 200 degrees to town and it only loses 2 degrees en route
- The biggest problem is soil erosion from wind and water. Trees existed before but when humans arrived in 800 AD they cut them down and they could not grow back
- Iceland is a really solid unique rock which was when volcanoes erupted under glacial ice or sea water. Heat from below and pressure from above
- The two tectonic plates are 7 miles apart
- Highland are arctic climate, lowlands are subarctic
- In 930 AD they held the world's first parliament and it's reenacted for 2 weeks each summer
- Population of Reykjavik is only 118700 and the whole country 319400
- The Golden Circle lake has 70m visibility and 120m deep
Its 1250 or so km to drive around the ring road, but with side trips and touring I drove 3119km in around 10 days
There are lots of handsome rugged, smiling men.
My trip was basically as follows:
Mon 15th Snaefellsnes peninsula, under sea tunnel to Reykjavik