“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ngapali Beach

I just got back from 5 glorious days at the beach. I went by myself, which it seems is quite unusual, but when I can't find someone, I don't let that stop me going places!!

Because I was on my own at the beach, and it was for 5 days, I had to overpack (of course). There were the usual Ipod, notebook, etc, but this time I also took 1 book for each day, my sketchbook (which I must say has been untouched for 6 months!), my paints, my Burmese language notes, beading, and even snacks! All this varied entertainment, I must say I was thankful for because other than a very handsome young German guy I met on the first evening (taken, sadly), I spoke to no one save myself for the entire weekend. I used everything and even pined for the bikini I had left behind (what can I say--the 5 I did take weren't quite right for what I wanted).

For the second night I was sandwiched in the middle of a German family. On my right were 4 rambunctious teenage boys. On my left were their middle-aged parents who, how shall I say it, got very, ahem, busy that night. They were loudly sexually active in their moaning, so much so that I wondered if I had been put there as a buffer between them and the "innocents". Honestly, though, they were so loud for so long that there isn't any chance of no knowledge on the kids part. They are sure to be immune to it by now at this stage in their lives!

Other exciting elements to the trip: I had rustling mice and lizards on the rattaan roof above me, separate hot and cold water taps (boiling hot and cold, neither one particularly appealing--I honestly considered making tea with the hot one day, because the power was out so my electric boiler wouldn't work). I had to borrow a romance novel from the next hotel because the 5 ones I had also weren't what I was craving. Taking a side road on my rented bicycle and cursing the deep sand was another amusement. The bike would either veer sideways guaranteeing a spil or stock stock still in the depths. As a good antipodean of Ozone holes, I wore so much sun-block that I truly missed it when I left it in my room one day. 3 or 4 daily swims truly is wonderful, even if the wind was a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings. It was cold enough for a blanket and no fan, even, haha! I lazed a lot, slept till 9am (gasp!) one day and was miffed that they'd run out of papaya. Of course it was full moon and a holiday so the motorbike market trip was on the last morning. Almost a rush. Had some yummy fish tempura--yum--at Royal Beach Motel.

No comments: