“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Arrived

Cambodia is fascinating! I am continually amazed at the similarities (and the differences) with Burma. Their people have certainly suffered similarly at the hands of awful people. Cambodia feels just a few steps ahead. It's nothing like Bangkok--which is super fast-paced, all high rises and consumerism. Yet while in some ways similar, it is also different from its other neighbor, Vietnam. I don't see the same agressiveness and drive for better. They're more passive like Laotians, but have their personal horrors in a way which Laos has never had.

When I first arrived I exclaimed (to myself) how wonderful it was, and thought how much I'd love to live here. Digging deeper and beyond first impressions, I now regret that thought. Phnom Penh is still lacking and in many ways the same as Burma. That would just be aggravating after living in Yangon. If I change, I want something better, not similar.

The cars may be better here, as are most roads, the availability of goods, and the fewer restrictions, but the shops are still little with all imported foods. There is still a limited culture (events-wise), and it does not have the greatest nightlife. It's also still Asia, too, but sometimes I just can't explain my reluctance with that.

No comments: