“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Monday, October 09, 2006

Three not so little pigs

The best thing I saw today (and it still makes me smile to picture it):

In the middle of Siem Reap (a village, I'll admit. Not really a city, but still a civilized gathering area with internet cafes, restaurants, 5 star hotels, supermarkets, etc), there were two motorbikes (two to ensure that I wasn't imagining it, and that it wasn't just a once-in-a-lifetime occurence), and each had 3 pigs strapped prostate to the back of it. Did you read that correctly? THREE PIGS! Can you in your wildest imagination even picture one pig on the back of a motorbike? This one had three. They do do increadible feats on these little motos (stringing 20 chickens upside down to move them to the slaughterhouse, fitting an entire family of 4 or more on a little moped, transporting 3 huge sacks of rice--imagine holding one of those between your legs on a tight turn), but THREE PIGS! I'm not sure if they were alive, dead or merely depressed (though how many pigs can claim the excitement of riding a Yamaha, so they should be excited!), but they were strapped onto a board of some kind and lain flat, cuddling each other, almost, facing the backwards scenery). What fun!

P.S. Am really bummed that I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of it! Perhaps if I wait in the same place, I'll see some more tomorrow?

No comments: