“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Phnom Penh

My mind is still pretty much blown away (that was in bad taste sorry!) after seeing the Tuol Sleng (S-21 Prison) Museum. Talk about powerful! I didn't feel half this bad at Auschwitz or Dachau, but I came close to tears today. It was the photographs (there are so many!) and the general decrepit air of this place, I think. Those bastards. And they kept on living till 1998 and later. Everyone knew about it, but they did nothing to them. Even Pol Pot was still alive!

There was so much in a tiny space--wow! The Killing Fields themselves should really get me thinking but I wonder if all the bones are gone or not... would it be a let down if they were? (N.B. was just told they're still there).

No comments: