“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Second/Fifth Leg: Farewell Bangkok

It's amazing how much I've come to really enjoy Bangkok. I'm not sure I'd want to live there, but it's a great place to visit. After three years of "visits" (more like escapes!) I've gotten to know my way around fairly well. Because this was my last trip for a while I had to do all my favorite things a last time. The yummy Nestle white chocolate with berry... mmmm.... mani-pedi, leg wax (not a favorite thing, but a necessity because of going to 1st world prices!), markets, shopping for cds and dvds. Wiling away hours on the internet!!

The worst/best part about Bangkok are the super cheap taxis. I hate Bangkok taxi drivers though! They never know where they're going, they drive around for ages, but the airconditioning is cold! They always want to charge you more, and want a set price because the meter is so cheap. Who do they think they're dealing with, eh?? :) The worst part though, the absolute worst, is when they don't fill up their gas tanks. That is so frustrating! I've lost track of how many times I've been on my way to the airport going 120km/h (yes, they love their dangerous speeds--on the latest trip I broke my record--165km/h--insanity!) and the car jerks as the engine feels the emptiness in the tank. Jerk, jerk, jerk, as I'm thrown forward by the unhappy car! The last trip, of course, he was the lowest I've ever seen anyone (in other words, it started immediately instead of half way through the journey), so this time instead of going fast he went super slowly!! But I made it, so I suppose I shouldn't complain!

On the way back from Australia, I had 8 hours in Suvarnabhumi Airport. I hate it!!! It is stark and empty and ugly and colorless. It's freezing cold and the chairs are ugly and uncomfortable. Good riddance airport, but Bangkok, my dear friend, adieu.

No comments: